What You Need to Know
In order to meet compliance for the new GHS Hazard Communication standard take note of the following to be completed by June 1st, 2016.
- All your chemical products must have up to date labels that are in compliance with the new GHS standards.
- Don't forget about re-labeling any secondary containers with the new GHS labeling format.
- Make sure you have SDS documents for all chemicals used in your facility and that they are up to date.
- Compare new SDS documents to old ones and train employees on any new hazards.
- Need to have a written HazCom training program in place for all employees to explain the hazards and safety precautions for all chemicals used in the facility.
GHS Compliance Timeline:
By December 1st, 2013
All employees need to be trained on the new label elements and SDS format.
By June 1st, 2015
All manufacturers chemical products being shipped must be labeled with the new system format.
By December 1st, 2015
Distributors have until this date to ship any products labeled by manufacturers under the old system format.
By June 1st, 2016
Employers must be in compliance with new system standards. Update alternative workplace labeling and hazard communication programs as necessary. Provide additional employee training for newly identified physical or health hazards for all employees and new hires.